How to apply for a Bachelor or Diplom programme

Please note:

    • On the language of instruction: In general, all Bachelor and Diplom programmes at TUBAF are taught in German. However, individual courses in German-language degree programmes are taught in English. Furthermore, since certain specialised literature is only available in English, it is necessary to have at least a B2-level knowledge of English in addition to the German language skills required for these degree programmes.
    • The German Diplom is a university degree at Master’s level. Those who complete this degree receive a corresponding academic title, for example “Diplom-Ingenieur” (Dipl.-Ing.). The Diplom study programme is comparable to a combined Bachelor and Master study programme.

1. Application via uni assist

International applicants have to apply for a Bachelor’s degree or Diplom degree programme at TUBAF via uni-assist.

Apply at the TUBAF by using the uni assist portal:

(Registration and personal uni assist account is required; the account has to be used for all applications, including such for multiple semesters and for different universities.)

1.1. About uni assist

The association uni assist describes itself as “the working service point for international student applications” and cooperates with 180 German universities.
Uni-assist assesses international educational certificates and checks additional criteria set by the TUBAF.

1.2. Handling fees at uni assist

Fees must be paid irrespective of the result of the checking procedure.

In one application semester these handling fees apply:

  • Costs for the first desired course of study: 75.00 EUR
  • For each additional desired course of study: 30.00 EUR

1.3. Exception – application without uni assist

Applicants from abroad who have already enrolled at a university in Germany and studied there do not have to apply via uni assist. Instead, these applicants must use the online portal of the TUBAF (free of charge).

1.4. Required application documents

  • Certified copy of university entrance qualification certificate (school leaving certificate)
  • If necessary: certified translation of the university entrance qualification certificate (see Certified translation)
  • German language certificate according to the required proficiency level
  • If applicable: certified copy of degree certificate (e. g. Bachelor’s certificate including Transcript of Records) as well as certified translation, if necessary (see Certified translation)
  • A current photograph of the applicant (required for student card)

1.5. Certified copy and certified translation

All educational certificates and documents are to be certified as officially authenticated copies. Foreign language certificates must be submitted in certified German or English translation.

The definition of a certified copy/translation varies from country to country. In general, however, it is an official copy/translation, as it is done by a professional translator who has been approved by the relevant association or body in the country concerned.

1.6. Application periods

An application for a place at TUBAF is only possible within a certain application period. Different application periods apply to different applicant groups. You can find the application period that applies to you on the website “Application and enrolment“.

2. Originality of application documents

The TUBAF reserves the right to verify the authenticity of your educational qualifications. Therefore you have to bring the original documents or certified copies of your university entrance qualification, degree certificate/s as well as language certificate/s to Freiberg.

3. Recognition of higher education entrance qualification

Those who wish to study at a German university require a “Hochschulzugangsberechtigung” or “higher education entrance qualification”. It is a school-leaving certificate confirming that you are qualified to study at a university. In Germany, after students graduate from secondary school, they receive a general university entrance qualification called “Abitur”.

How can you determine whether your higher education entrance qualification will be recognized in Germany? – The database at provides detailed information with an extensive list of countries and school-leaving certificates (available in German only).

4. Foundation course (Studienkolleg)

If your school leaving certificate is not sufficient for university admission in Germany, you will have to take a qualification assessment examination in Germany, the so called Feststellungsprüfung. You can prepare for this examination in a foundation course at a preparatory college (Studienkolleg).

A foundation course is an educational programme to prepare a student in several crucial subjects for the degree programme. It includes also German language education.

However, there is no Studienkolleg in Freiberg. Applicants with conditional admission to a degree programme at the TUBAF can attend the Studienkolleg Sachsen, which belongs to the University of Leipzig.
Procedure: First apply via uni assist for the desired degree programme via uni assist. If successful, you will receive conditional admission and an invitation to the Studienkolleg Sachsen in Leipzig. Only with conditional admission and an invitation will you receive access to the Studienkolleg.
Costs: Participation in the placement test and the focus courses is free of charge. Source:

5. Language proficiency

5.1. Command of German

All Bachelor’s and Diplom degree programmes at the TUBAF are taught in German. In order to be admitted to these degree courses, you must have sufficient knowledge of German. The following rules apply:

You are not required to take the DSH examination if one of the following cases applies to you:

  • you completed your Abitur in Germany
  • you have passed the German language section of the Qualification Assessment Examination (Feststellungsprüfung at the Studienkolleg)
  • you have the certificate German Language Diploma (Level II) from the German Standing Conference of Ministres of Education and Culture
  • you have the certificate “Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom(GDS)
  • you have the certificate “German as a Foreign Language Test” (Test DaF) with  the result intermediate level (TDN 4) in all four sections
  • you have the certificate “telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule

5.2. Command of English

Individual modules (lectures) in German-language degree programmes are taught in English. Since some of the specialist literature is only available in English, it is very important that, in addition to the German language skills required for these degree programmes, English language skills are also available at least at B2 level.

6. Academic Evaluation Centres (Akademische Prüfstellen, APS) in India, China and Vietnam

Applicants from India

Since 1 November 2022, prospective students with Indian school or university credits who wish to pursue a preparatory course, Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Germany must submit an APS certificate when applying for their visa.
Prospective students who receive a scholarship financed by European funds and doctoral students whose doctoral supervisor does not require an APS certificate for enrolment are exempt from verification.

The APS application is made online:

Contact to the APS office in New Delhi:

Gate No. 3, DLTA Complex, R.K. Khanna Stadium, 1 Africa Avenue, 110029 New Delhi, India

Applicants from China

Applicants from China have to submit the official document issued by the Academic Evaluation Centre (Akademische Prüfstelle, APS) in Beijing as proof of the authenticity of their application documents.
An application cannot be processed without the APS certificate.


Akademische Prüfstelle des Kulturreferates der Deutschen Botschaft Peking
Landmark Tower 2 / Büro 0311
8 Dongsanhuanbeilu Chaoyang Bezirk
100004 Beijing

Telephone: +86 10 65 90 71 38

Applicants from Vietnam

Applicants from Vietnam have to submit the official document issued by the Academic Evaluation Centre (Akademische Prüfstelle, APS) in Hanoi as proof of the authenticity of their application documents.
An application cannot be processed without the APS certificate.


German Embassy Hanoi, APS
29 Tran Phu, Q. Ba Dinh

Telephone: +84 24 3267 3335

Telephone enquiries Monday – Thursday from 2:00 p.m. only.